SMECA awards $3,000 annually, renewable up to five years, to six incoming undergraduate students seeking a degree in engineering, computer science or construction who demonstrate the capacity to become community, industry, and business leaders.
- Admitted as an undergraduate student to ASU’s Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering for the upcoming academic year.
- Participant in at least one full season of a regional or national science, math or engineering competition* within the past two years.
How to apply:
- Submit an online application.
- Download and submit the completed SMECArecommendSMECArecommendation_2019V2
- The recommendation form is a fillable PDF. Have your recommender complete and return the form to you (applicant). Upload the recommendation form as part of your online application. Only one recommendation is required. All submissions are due March 18, 2019. Late/Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Recipients have demonstrated their commitment by participating in science, math and engineering competitions during high school including:
- American Math Challenge
- Arizona Science and Engineering Fair (AzSEF)
- For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST)
- International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF)
- Junior Engineering Technical Society (JETS)
- Marine Advanced Technology Education (MATE’s ROV competitions)
- Math Engineering Science Achievement (MESA)
- Test of Engineering Aptitude in Math and Science (TEAMS)
- VEX Robotics
Frequently asked SMECA questions:
How are the students awarded?
Students are awarded the SMECA scholarship based on their academic accomplishments, teamwork, character, leadership and community participation. The final selection is made by a school-wide committee. An annual award of $3000 will be made to several deserving students.
Will the scholarship renew automatically?
YES! The scholarship will renew automatically each year up to four additional years of the student’s undergraduate degree, after the original award. The scholarship will renew automatically if the student maintains the following:
- 2.75 cumulative GPA
Good academic standing within the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering
Full-time student status
Students are also required to assist with one school sponsored competition (FLL, TEAMS, MESA, etc.) per year.
When is the deadline to submit the application and materials?
The deadline to submit all the application materials (online application and recommendation letter) is Monday, March 18, 2019. The recommendation form as part of your online application. All submissions are due March 18, 2019. Late/Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Who should I obtain a recommendation from?
As part of the SMECA application, a recommendation is needed from a teacher, counselor, or competition advisor. This person should be able to attest to the student’s competition participation, their potential for success in academics at ASU, and their character as an applicant.