The SmithGroup Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Scholarship Program is designed to support and mentor students from historically underrepresented demographics in architecture, interior design, planning, landscape architecture and engineering. The program’s mission is to provide these students with the opportunity to attain their professional goals while advancing the architecture/engineering/construction (AEC) industry and improving the built environment.
This scholarship includes a one-time award of $6,000 to offset the student’s tuition at their current academic institution (5 scholarships are awarded each year). Additionally, the scholarship recipients serve as paid summer interns at SmithGroup offices across the United States (internship is a program requirement).
- Applicants must be current undergraduate (at least a junior level standing) or graduate students in an accredited architecture, interior design, planning, landscape architecture or engineering program in the United States. Must still be an enrolled student when scholarship award is applied to tuition in fall 2021.
- Candidates should have a current GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Candidates who are of Black/African American, Hispanic, Alaskan Native or American Indian, and Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander are eligible to apply.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S.
Prior to starting your application, please have the following items available:
- Link to online portfolio (for architecture, interior design and landscape architecture majors)
- A cover letter including the answer to the question “Describe the importance of diversity in the design world” (in 200 words or less).
Applications for the 2021-2022 academic year must be submitted by October 30, 2020.
For more information and/or to apply, please visit: https://www.smithgroup.com/smithgroup-equity-diversity-and-inclusion-scholarship-program